TfGM teams up with Nationwide Cycling Academy to deliver safe urban driving training for HGV drivers
To improve road safety for cyclists and pedestrians and offer commercial drivers the chance to boost their skills, Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) has partnered up with the Nationwide Cycling Academy (NCA) to deliver safe urban driving training for just £10 per person.
The courses, which are designed for professional HGV, LGV and PCV drivers in Greater Manchester, help define who vulnerable road users are – including cyclists and pedestrians – as well as providing guidance on ways to reduce risks and avoid accidents whilst on the road.
The aim of the safe urban driving course, which is subsidised by TfGM and delivered in partnership with EnRoute Training, is to:
- Define who vulnerable road users are & raise awareness
- Reduce risk for vulnerable people
- Gain information about road accident statistics involving HGVs, LGVs & PCVs
- Help avoid accidents and assess emerge ncy situations
- Gain practical experience of cycling on the roads (accompanied by qualified National Standards cycling instructors)
The course is approved by the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC) and Fleet Operators Recognition Scheme (FORS). It also meets the requirements for the Work Related Road Risk (WRRR) and the Construction Logistics and Cyclists safety (CLOCS) schemes.
It covers the following modules:
In class theory
- The changing streetscape
- Identifying vulnerable road users
- Sharing the road
- Safety equipment
On cycle practical
- Exchanging places – driver attitude and perception
- Introduction to active travel – driver fitness and health
- Hazard awareness and cyclist behaviour
Delivered by experienced and approved trainers from NCA, all of the safe urban driving courses take place at The Barn Countryside Centre, Philips Park, Whitefield, M45 7QJ.
Courses take place between 8.30am and 4pm. Light refreshments and provided but please bring your own lunch. Drivers MUST bring their driving licence with them to the training course for registration and identification purposes.
To sign up for one of the SUD courses running from 26th February until 30th April, visit https://www.nca-academy.co.uk/accredited-training-courses/safe-urban-driving. Further dates will be added throughout the year.
For further information, contact email@example.com.
Transport for Greater Manchester Press Office
0161 244 1055